Thanks for participating in our Sustainability Trivia game! Answers are below. 

1. Globally, it is estimated that about ______ tonnes of plastic waste enters the oceans every year from land.

a. 8 million 

b. 100 million 

c. 2 million 

d. 67 million 


Answer: 8 million. Without additional action and at current rates of consumption and production, this could more than double by 2025. This pollution harms wildlife, damages habitats and fisheries, and can transfer contaminants throughout the food chain.

2. How many tonnes of plastic waste do Canadians throw away every year?

a. 3 million 

b. 1 million 

c. 12 million 

d. 8 million 

 

Answer: Canadians throw away over 3 million tonnes of plastic waste every year. The majority of plastic waste comes from packaging, for products such as computers or children’s toys, followed by automotive parts, electronics, textiles and construction.

3. How much of its plastics does Canada recycle?

a. 75% 

b. 9% 

c. 42% 

d. 25% 

 

Answer: Canada recycles just 9% of its plastics. Of the other 91%, 86% goes to the landfill, 4% is incinerated, and 1% ends up as litter. The rest are dumped in the landfill and incinerators or tossed away as litter. Most of the wasted plastic comes from offices, institutions or industries.

4. By what year does the Government of Canada plan to achieve zero plastic waste by banning many single-use plastic items?

 

a. 2050 

b. 2025

c. 2030

d. 3000 

 

Answer: The Government of Canada plans to achieve zero plastic waste by 2030. The Government is focusing on banning many single-use plastic items such as plastic checkout bags, straws, stir sticks, six-pack rings, cutlery, and food ware made from hard-to-recycle plastics.

5. In a recent audit of Nova Scotia’s litter, miscellaneous plastic and paper items made up 21% of all the large items found. After that, what was the most commonly found large item?

a. Food wrappers 

b. Cups 

c. Masks 

d. Electronics

 

Answer: Hot cups, cup lids and cup pieces accounted for 13% of all the large litter items audited by Divert Nova Scotia in 2021. Of the small items collected, cigarette butts accounted for 32%.

Image by Matthew Smith

Sustainability Trivia Answers

How did you do?